This sport i physical, fast-paced sport that is nothing short of exciting to watch. What is even more exhilarating than taking in an NHL game is betting on it. With NHL betting in Maryland now legal, it’s time to get in on the action.
- Best sportsbooks with NHL betting in Maryland 2024
- NHL betting guide in MD
- Best NHL Betting in Maryland
- NHL Sportsbooks in MD
- NHL Betting Odds in MD
- NHL Online Betting in Maryland State
- FAQ's About NHL betting in Maryland
Best sportsbooks with NHL betting in Maryland 2024
NHL betting in Maryland: All sites are 100% legal & licensed by the state.
|Caesars Sportsbook Up to $1,250 bonus
|Bet now Caesars Maryland bonus
|BetRivers Sportsbook Up to $500 in bonus bets
|Bet now BetRivers Maryland promos
|DraftKings Sportsbook Bet $5, get $200 in free bets
|Bet now DraftKings Maryland bonus
|Betfred Sportsbook Get up to $1,111 in Fred Bets
|BetMGM Sportsbook Up to $1,000 in bonus bets
|Bet now BetMGM Maryland bonus
|FanDuel Sportsbook Bet $5 get $200 in bonus bets
|Bet now Fanduel Maryland promo
|PointsBet Sportsbook Five Second Chance Bets Up To $100 Each
|Bet now PointsBet Maryland promos
|Crab Sports Up to $250 in bonus bets
NHL betting guide in MD
This NHL betting in Maryland guide is designed to help you understand how NHL bets work, what kind of odds you can expect, and what MD NHL betting providers are the best.
We’ve even put together a list of tips for you and included a FAQ section. So whether you are a beginner learning how to bet on NHL in Maryland or just looking to brush up to maximize your profits, you have come to the right place.
Best NHL Betting in Maryland
You should always do your homework when betting online, but we want to help shorten your list. Here are our favorite NHL sportsbooks in Maryland:
- DraftKings Maryland: The bonuses are fantastic. Place all kinds of bets using this world-famous betting provider expertly-designed interface. The app is pretty great, too.
- PointsBet Maryland: Loads of different NHL bets to choose from with this Australian NHL betting site. Excellent Moneyline and puck line betting options.
- FanDuel Maryland: NHL props and futures betting is solid. A leader in the industry, FanDuel is a favorite for a reason.
- Barstool Sportsbook Maryland: Sleek design with tons of sports to bet on. This blog-gone-sportsbook has some great bonuses.
- BetMGM Maryland: Easy-to-navigate app, superb sign-on bonus, and exciting daily boosters with this betting site, which is a platform of the world-renowned MGM Resorts.
NHL Sportsbooks in MD
Before you look into strategies or what NHL sportsbook to choose when NHL betting in Maryland, it’s imperative that you first understand how NHL bets work.
The most popular wagers among bettors are Moneylines, totals, and puck lines. However, there are plenty of other betting options out there as Maryland sportsbooks get more and more creative. We’ll start with the most common bet – Moneylines.
Moneylines NHL Bets in MD
A Moneyline bet is the most common and straightforward type of NHL wager. You are simply betting on who will win.
A online NHL betting provider sets the Moneyline odds, which are based on the probability of a certain team winning the game. The favorite will always have a negative (-) value, while the underdog will always have a positive (+) value.
Puck Lines Betting in Maryland
You are only considering the spread when betting on the puck line, which is always 1.5 goals because of the game is being such a low-scoring sport. If you are familiar with point spread betting, then puck line wagers will come easy to you. If you’ve never heard of either, that’s ok too. That is why we are here.
We’ve mentioned the positive (+) and negative (-) symbols before, but repetition is your friend here. The quicker you can look at a bet and process what it means, the quicker you can make a smart decision. Moving on – the puck line favorite is always +1.5, while the underdog will always have -1.5 next to it.
At the end of the game, the favored team will have 1.5 goals subtracted from their final score. Therefore, if you place a puck line bet on the favorite, then you need them to beat the underdog by two goals in order to win the puck line bet on the favorite.
On the other hand, to win a puck line, bet on the underdog. You need them to win outright or lose by no more than two points since they have that extra padding that will cover the spread.
Over/Under (Totals) Bets
Over/under betting is common in NHL. Unlike a Moneyline bet, a totals bet has nothing to do with who wins or loses the game.
An over/under bet is typically a wager on the total number of goals scored by two NHL teams during a game. They look at the stats and decides that at the end of the game, both teams will have scored a combined total of 5.5. It doesn’t matter who won or who scored how many points.
The only thing that matters in an O/U wager is whether you correctly bet the actual final score will be over or under the sites posted total.
You will almost always see a half number in totals betting. They use half numbers to prevent a “push” or tie. There is no winner in a push. The bet is void, and the NHL betting operator refund the bettor their wager.
One more thing: an over/under bet isn’t just on the total number of goals scored in a given game. For example, you can bet whether you think the Washington Capitals will score over or under 1.5 goals in the first period. There are tons of options when it comes to totals betting, and some of them get really creative with it.
An NHL prop bet is a wager on a specific action occurring during a game or season. A prop bet can also be a wager on a player or team’s performance during the regular season, playoffs, or for Stanley Cup betting in MD.
Let’s look at some examples:
- The Washington Capitals will make the first goal of the game.
- The Boston Bruins will instigate a fight during the first period.
- How many assists will the New York Rangers have in a game?
- Tampa Bay Lightning will score first against the Montreal Canadiens in the Final.
Some of these bets might look familiar, and that’s because they tie into over/under betting (the Rangers will have over or under x amount of assists during the game) and futures betting (the Lightning will score first in the Finals).
In an NHL parlay bet, you are placing a single wager on two or more NHL bets for a larger payday. The tricky part of this type of bet is that every single wager in the parlay must be correct. It’s an all-or-nothing deal, meaning even if you get three out of four bets right, you lose.
NHL futures bets are exactly what you think they might be based on their name. You are betting on what will happen in the season’s future. Here are a few examples of futures wagers:
- Who will take the Western Conference?
- How many goals will the Washington Capitals score during the regular season?
- What player will be the MVP and win the Conne Smythe Trophy in the playoffs?
You are looking down the road and predicting how a season will unfold when betting futures in NHL.
NHL Betting Odds in MD
Understanding the odds is essential in Maryland hockey betting. Of course, you probably know that because you are in it to win it, right? And the odds tell you just how much you can potentially take home. It’s always helpful to look at examples when trying to understand odds for NHL betting in Maryland.
So, let’s pretend the Washington Capitals are playing the Boston Bruins. A NHL sportsbook has the game listed in the following format:
- Washington Capitals (-170)
- Boston Bruins (+140)
The Capitals has a Moneyline of -170. Remember, the negative (-) symbol means that they are the favorite. So you would have to bet $170 to win $100.
The Boston Bruins have a Moneyline of +140. Note that the positive (+) symbol means that the Bruins are the underdog in this game. If you bet $100 on the Bruins and win, you will take home a profit of $140.
Puck Line Odds
Remember that this is basically a point spread bet where the line is set at 1.5 goals. The Washington Capitals are now playing the Philly Flyers. The puck line odds are as follows:
Washington Capitals -1.5 (-130)
Philly Flyers +1.5 (+115)
The puck line for the Capitals is -1.5, while the Flyers have a puck line of +1.5.
- Scenario 1: You bet the puck line on the Capitals. For you to win, the Capitals need to win the game by a minimum of two goals. Why? Because the puck line takes away 1.5 goals from the team’s final score. $130 bet = $100 profit with these odds.
- Scenario 2: Say you bet the puck line on the Flyers. You need them to lose by less than two goals or just plain win outright to make a profit and not lose the bet. This is because they get that extra padding added to their final score. $100 bet = $115 profit with these odds.
Over/Under (Totals) Bets
As a bettor, you are wagering on whether the final combined score of a game will be over or under a operators total. Let’s look at another example with one of our favorite teams, the Washington Capitals.
They posts the O/U totals for the Capitals vs. Stars game. It looks like this:
Dallas Stars Over 5.5 (-120)
Washington Capitals Under 5.5 (+110)
The names of the teams are just there for looks – they don’t have anything to do with the actual over/under odds. You are not betting on who will win the game. You are betting on whether the final total score will be over or under 5.5 goals.
- If you correctly bet over (the total goals scored in the game was six or higher), then a $120 bet will earn you a profit of $100.
- If you correctly bet under (the total goals scored in the game was five or less), then a $100 bet will result in a $110 profit.
That’s it. Well, almost. Often they will shift the odds if one side is seeing more action than the other. They do this in order to ensure they make a profit. This just means that you have to pay close attention to the odds before placing a bet.
NHL Online Betting in Maryland State
With Maryland legalizing online sports betting, you know that they are going to be lining up to get your business. What does that mean for you? You’ve got plenty of options and a ton of bonuses and promotions to consider.
You’re going to want to take full advantage of the various perks offered by Maryland sports betting sites. But before you jump on board with just any oddsmaker, make sure they check all of these boxes:
- Is licensed and legally operates within the state of Maryland.
- Has a great reputation. Reviews can help you make sure of this – so don’t skip reading them.
- Is secure. Look for the SSL and TSL padlocks on their website, so you know your information is safe.
- Allows you to easily make deposits.
- The NHL sportsbook quickly pays out.
- Offers excellent customer service.
- The odds offer you the value you are looking for.
FAQ’s About NHL betting in Maryland
The NHL is the world’s best league divided between the USA and Canada. The NHL is played in a regular season followed by a playoff game. The NHL is one of the most popular options when it comes to betting.
It all depends on what you prefer. Just like when you are going to find your favorite restaurant, you also need to familiarize yourself with what is important to you when you bet on the NHL. Does the NHL sportsbook offer a good odds bonus? Do you want many markets? Different online betting sites have different strengths and weaknesses and bettors will know best what they prefer.
The NHL has long consisted of 31 teams. But ahead of the 21/22 season, the NHL will now consist of 32 teams. This is after Seattle has been approved by the NHL’s board and will be an established team in the league. Seattle will play in the Pacific Division.